Statement on Metrical and Impact Data Tools, Including PlumX
Like other metrical and impact data tools, including Google Scholar, ResearchGate, Scopus, and Web of Science, PlumX gathers traditional and non-traditional metrics, including citations, usage counts, and social media mentions. With this data, PlumX provides reports to help faculty and programs tell the story of their research.
As a provider of PlumX and other metrical and impact data tools, the University Libraries offer the following statements:
- PlumX is provided solely as a service of the University Libraries.
- The University Libraries provide PlumX for informational purposes only to help identify trends in how research is discovered, accessed, and used; and to identify opportunities for increasing the visibility and impact of research.
- The accuracy and completeness of PlumX is impacted by many factors, including data collection methods, quality and completeness of data, and other technical and non-technical constraints (e.g., language).
- The University Libraries do not advocate or support exclusive use of any metrical tool, including PlumX, for evaluation or comparison of faculty or programs.
- The University Libraries encourage faculty and programs to be skeptical of all metrical tools and system-generated impact data, and to consider a wide array of usage and impact indicators when evaluating or comparing faculty or programs.